Lightning during Wednesday evening’s intense thunder storms sparked a blaze in the garage of a north Leawood home.
Around 6 p.m. Wednesday fire crews received a cell phone call from a passerby in the 3200 block of 84th Street who noticed smoke coming from the roof of a house. Consolidated Fire District No. 2 Battalion Chief Jeff Scott said firefighters arrived at the scene to find that the family was at home and unaware that the home had been struck.
“They had no idea it was on fire,” he said.
Scott said firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze quickly. Crews from the Leawood Fire Department and CFD2 both responded to the call.