It may still be 2014, but The Barn Players has announced a set of six shows for its 60th anniversary season in 2015. Located at 6219 Martway, across from Sylvester Powell Community Center, The Barn Players describes itself as the oldest and largest community theater in the Kansas City area.
- Thoroughly Modern Millie – (February 27 to March 15) The award winning musical that tells the story of a high-spirited 1920’s stage musical and young Millie Dillmont in search of a new life for herself. Rated PG.
- Avenue Q – (April 17 to May 3) A musical that tells the story of a college grad who moves into a shabby NYC apartment as he and his friends struggle to find jobs and a general purpose to life. Rated R
- Six Degrees of Separation – (May 31 to June 14) A true story that follows a con-man “Paul” who claims he knows the son of a wealthy NYC couple and that he is the son of actor Sidney Poitier Rated R
- Equus – (July 31 to August 15) Dr. Martin Dysart is confronted with a boy, who has blinded six horses, but the boy has always adored all horses – the puzzle is a psychological mystery that leads to a dramatic confrontation. Rated R
- The Addams Family – (September 18 to October 4) Based on the TV show, this is an original story where daughter Wednesday Addams falls in love with a young man from a respectable family. Rated PG-13
- The Producers – (November 6 to 22) Mel Brooks’ classic comedy, the show that won twelve Tony Awards and tells the story of a down-on-his-luck producer and his accountant who come up with a scheme to bilk their backers out of millions of dollars. Rated R
Other 60th season productions will include a Barn Junior production in January, the Barney Awards on Jan. 31, a Barn Kids production in the summer, the Barn Benefit Concert (a celebration of 60 years of Barn musicals) in June and the annual 6X10 Original Ten-Minute Play Festival in December.