SM East’s swim and dive team put in another strong performance at the Kansas 6A title meet, securing second place overall behind Blue Valley North.
It’s the second year in a row the Lancers have been state runners-up.
SM East senior Zack Holbrook put in a standout showing for the Lancers, taking first place overall in the 100 Yard Freestyle, and contributing to the 200 Yard Freestyle Relay team’s first place finish along with Patrick Hornung, Peter Milledge and Cooper Johnson.
Though the Lancers may not have walked away with the title, their strong showing all season long earned head coach Wiley Wright the honor of Kansas 6A Coach of the Year — the fourth time in his 29 years with the school he’s received the accolade. (He also received it in 1990, 1995 and 2005. During his tenure, Wright has taken the Lancers to seven state titles and 18 Sunflower League championships. SM East has placed among the top three teams at state for nine of the last 11 years.
After the meet, Holbrook and Benjamin Schmatz were named First Team All-State. Hornung made the Second Team.
Top eight finishes by SM East swimmers and divers at state are noted below:
- Diving: Brody Arvesen, 4th, Cameron Carollo, 7th
- 200 Medley Relay: 6th, Christian Hense, Schmatz, Ian Longan, Johnson 1:38.54
- 200 IM: Schmatz, 4th, 1:54.99
- 50 Free: Holbrook, 2nd, 21.58; Hornung 7th, 21.93; Milledge 8th, 22.02
- 100 Free: Holbrook 1st, 46.69; Hornung 5th, 47.81
- 200 Free Relay: 1st, Hornung, Milledge, Johnson, Holbrook 1:25.92
- 100 Breaststroke: Schmatz 3rd, 58.34
- 400 Free Relay: 2nd, Hornung, Milledge, Schmatz, Holbrook, 3:10.99
(Big thanks to Linda Schmatz for providing info!)