The entire city of Westwood Hills is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In August the Kansas Historic Sites Board of Review had placed it on the Kansas Register of Historical Places.
Westwood Hills is the only municipality in Kansas that lies completely within a historic district. The Kansas board had recommended to the National Park Service that Westwood Hills be included on the national register, according to Sarah Martin, the national register coordinator for the Kansas Historical Society. The board was notified by the park service on Friday of the designation.
The designation means certain remodeling work on buildings in the district can qualify for a 20 percent federal tax credit. However, the federal credit only applies to income-producing property. A state tax credit of 25 percent is available to all property owners in the district.
Here is a description of the Westwood Hills district from the Kansas Historical Society:
Westwood Hills Historic District – Westwood Hills, Johnson County
The Westwood Hills Historic District comprises the entire city of Westwood Hills in Johnson County. The J. C. Nichols Company platted the Westwood Hills subdivision in 1923 and established the Westwood Hills Homes Association in 1926. Twenty years later, residents successfully petitioned the Board of County Commissioners to be recognized as an independent city. The City of Westwood Hills officially incorporated on July 1, 1949. The district is an excellent, intact example of the residential design concepts that prominent local developer J. C. Nichols employed in his many successful subdivisions in both Missouri and Kansas.
Westwood Hills was the first subdivision Nichols developed in Kansas using these concepts. The district retains excellent examples of architect-designed dwellings that express the variety of formal and vernacular styles popular in the area during the period of significance. It also encompasses an entire municipality that was involved in the mid-century trend of incorporating as a city in order to retain its own identity as Johnson County developed. The 255 resources reflect the development history of the neighborhood as it evolved from pastureland to a residential subdivision to its own self-contained city. It was nominated for its local significance in the areas of community planning and architecture.