SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!
Local Fourth of July festivities: Fireworks tonight, VillageFest Wednesday
Break out the red, white and blue, Villagers, ’cause it’s about to be Fourth of July celebration time up in here.
Local festivities kick off tonight with the only public fireworks display north of I-435. Fairway, Roeland Park, Westwood, Westwood Hills and Mission Woods have again partnered to put on a show tonight at Bishop Miege High School, 5041 Reinhardt Drive, Roeland Park, KS. The rockets will start glaring red at 9:30 p.m. Parking is available at Bishop Miege and at St. Agnes Parish.
Tomorrow, Prairie Village hosts the 16th VillageFest celebration on City Hall grounds. The event will feature live music, games and activities, and a Headstrong for Jake Bike Rodeo. The first 350 kids to show up for the rodeo in the City Hall Parking Lot will receive a free, properly fitted bike helmet. The helmets will be distributed on a first come, first served basis. (Headstrong for Jake has now given away more than 8,200 helmets — impressive stuff).
Other VillageFest highlights are noted below:
- Chris Cakes pancake breakfast: 7:30-11 a.m., Harmon Park Pavilion
- Patriotic Service: 9-9:30 a.m., Harmon Park Pavilion
- Funky Mama: 9-9:30 a.m., Main Stage (across from City Hall)
- Jim “Mr. Stinky Feet” Cosgrove and the Hiccups!: 10-10:30 a.m., Main Stage
- Surf Tones: noon-1:30 p.m., Main Stage
- Vintage plane flyover: 9:30 a.m.
- Headstrong for Jake Bike Rodeo: 10 a.m.-noon, City Hall Parking Lot
- Children’s Parade: 11:15 a.m., in front of City Hall.
- Attractions (including face painting, the climbing wall, the Kansas Yo-Yo champion, the petting zoo, pony rides, the “human hamster ball,” and more) 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. (some attractions start at 9:30 a.m.) Community Center lawn and City Hall Parking lot.
Download a full schedule here. See everyone out there tomorrow! Have a safe and fun Fourth.
Powered by Facebook Comments