Crews this week will begin trimming trees on the east side of Prairie Village, part of the city’s tree maintenance program.
The crews will only trim those trees in the city’s right-of-way, and cannot trim trees on private property. They will:
- Remove dead wood on branches 2 inches in diameter or larger
- Remove broken or damaged limbs
- Remove limbs lower than 14 feet above the street
- Remove limbs lower than 9 feet above the sidewalk
- Remove limbs obscuring visibility of traffic signals and signs
- Remove limbs blocking street lights
Prairie Village’s city council approved a measure at its last meeting to award the work for this round of trimming to Kansas City Tree Care, which put in a bid of $48,000 for the project in a competitive process. Their bid was $4,400 less than the nearest competitor. Public Works will hire an arborist and tree company to conduct trimming in other parts of the city in coming years.